Wednesday, February 9, 2011

All Girls (and Boys) Are The Same!


Today Gabriela and I went with one of my friends and her roommate to Zoë’s Kitchen. When we had set up where we were going to meet, I had suggested dinner and she replied that she was starting a “strict diet”; spring break is coming up and I guess all girls really do think of the same things! We both laughed and agreed to go to Zoë’s since it is a healthy dinner option. When we got there, we ordered the same thing: chicken salad sandwich with pasta salad as our side.  The four of us sat down and got past the awkward introductions and the conversation immediately picked up once we brought up every girls’ favorite topic: boys, obviously.
Gabriela and I both are in long distance relationships, and we definitely found that we could easily vent to each other about them. She and I have experienced basically the same things in our relationships. Granted, her boyfriend is back in Panama and mine is in Lubbock at Texas Tech… so I guess she is in a longer long distance. She told me how she gets annoyed when he doesn’t text back or when he gets jealous that she is hanging out with other people; I guess no matter where you are from, boys are all the same! We laughed many times over how boys can be ridiculous and sometimes the relationships can be very frustrating, but we also agreed that they can be worth it. It is pretty crazy that we are so alike, coming from two completely different places.
She and I chatted about boys for most of the time, but we also got onto the topic of school. I asked her why she came to TCU: “My mom told me to”. I laughed at this, because it reminds me of my relationship with my mom. I listen to all of her advice… not like I’d admit that to her of course, but I do. She told me that in Panama, they have a different system for schooling. She actually just graduated from high school in November 2010. They do this and then normally they have nine months off before they go off to college in the fall of the next year. She told me this is why she is in the intensive English program here at TCU. Her mom told her she isn’t going to be “sitting around and sleeping until 3 everyday” for nine months. Her mom sounds just like mine. I’m supposed to get a job this summer so I am “not sitting around doing nothing”; it should be interesting since I’ve never actually had one before. Neither has Gabriela. We bonded over this silly fact about ourselves. We said we’d definitely rather be at home doing absolutely nothing.
After we had bonded over boys and jobs, we decided it was getting late and time to head back, because we actually might have school tomorrow. We laughed at how many snow days we have had, and admitted to each other that this past Monday we were both late to class. We were not ready to get up before noon after the six-day break from school. I have a feeling that every time Gabriela and I get together, we are going to find more and more things we have in common. I can’t wait to find out what those things are!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsea, First, thanks for the wonderful posts on your conversations with Gabriela and forgive me for not responding earlier. Seems like you had great encounters each time, and I enjoyed reading about Potbelly and Zoe's. Thanks for making the effort to meet Gabriela at these places. I think it helps to meet off campus. I am so glad you were able to bond over boys and non-jobs. I look forward tor eading more. dw

    ReplyDelete